Table of Contents
Level-up your Shopify Store with a Product Customizer
Selling products with variables in Shopify is a straightforward process. For example, if you are selling socks you would have options like:
- Material – Cotton, Bamboo
- Colour: Red, Blue, Pink, Black
- Size: Small, Medium, Large
All very straightforward, the customer selects their desired option and you ship them the sock with those specific attributes.
But, what if you have a product that requires a lot more options, like the ability to upload images, add custom text etc?
These types of products require a specific Shopify app called a “product customizer” (sometimes referred to as a product builder).
There are many Product Customizer apps available, however, we have done the heavy lifting for you and made a list of the most comprehensive, well-built, best user experience and easy to edit and manage.
Kickflip ‑ Customize Products
This has a very powerful product customizer that allows it to be configured to all kinds of variables.
It’s very intuitive which is vital to the success of any product where you rely on the customer building out the product options. In the image below, you can see an example of the wide variation of options that can be set, from image-prompted options to simple dropdowns.
An important feature of this app is the uploading image function. It allows customers to easily upload their images, automatically checking that they are in the correct format.
Once a custom image is uploaded and an option is selected it will show the changes in real-time in the visualisation on the right.
The same goes for custom text. Customers can add their text and change its colour.
See a list of features from the developer:
- Text & image personalization : add text, fonts, image, logo on the product
- Multi-component: Add/remove or customize pieces of a product in a live preview
- Dynamic pricing: Different price per options & view a live update of total price
- High-quality previews: Real-time product preview within multiple perspectives
- Live colouring: Apply colours dynamically on customizable areas of your product
Customily Product Personalizer
This app is very similar to Kickflip in the way it looks and functions. One of its stand-out features is the wide range of export formats PDF, AI, PNG, JPG, EPS, DXF, or OFM.
See a list of its main features according to its developer:
- Unlimited options: texts, fonts, colours, textures, images, star maps, cartoons
- Clipart collections and full design templates are ready to apply and sell for free
- Export ready-to-print, engrave or laser-cut files. No extra manual work is needed
- Connect with different Print-on-Demand providers to automate fulfilment
- Global support team to help your products look stunning
- Live chat included!
Zepto Product Personalizer
This is our second option for product builders. It offers pretty much the same features as Kickflip however it goes about the builder in a different approach.
With this Shopify app, the builder is in a tabbed area on the product page:
This app works well but doesn’t have the polish of Kickflip or Customily. This app also allows for image uploads by customers and a whole range of configurations to be set up.
Here is a list of its main features:
- Add Unlimited Product Options & Variant Options
- Let your customers see a Live Preview of the product directly in-store
- Use Conditional logic to show & hide product options based on user selection
- Make Price Increases depending on the user selection.
- Offer ‘Build Your Own Product’ Experience for Multi-component custom products
Inkybay ‑ Product Personalizer
This App doesn’t have the most attractive interface but it does have the ability to store customer images in their gallery and to create QR codes.
Here is a list of its main features:
- Visual configurator & customizer with live preview to sell custom products
- Advanced product options & quantity discount features for customized products
- Dynamic price generation based on custom design colour, size and option selection
- Support ANY printing methods-DTF, Screen Print, DTG, Sublimation, Embroidery, etc
- Custom size option with dynamic price generation! Great for DTF, Signs, Stickers
Product Options & Customizer
This is a very popular app which allows you to create product variations with ease. It has a great user interface and is intuitive to use.
Why this is the bottom of the list is that it lacks the visualisation of customizations.
List of features by the developer:
- Alter visuals as per choices for an interactive and engaging shopping experience
- Add upcharges for premium options to increase revenue
- Show options based on customer selections for easy product customization
- Combine variants from different products for enhanced customization options
- Date Picker, Font Picker, and File Upload for Diverse Product Customization
After extensive testing, our preference is Kickflip and Customily. Especially when it comes to using it on mobile devices. Both of these apps performed well on smartphones making purchases easy.
Their admin user interface is smooth and easy to use allowing swift setup of new products.
As to their customer-facing interface, this implies the quality and professionalism that you get from established big-brand e-commerce. Some big-name brands use these exact apps in their Shopify stores!
Our advice is to not only view each Shopify app’s specifications but to also take advantage of their free trials. That way you can decide which is the best fit for your business.
Helping Businesses Online
Thank you for reading!
We want to help as many businesses as we can with free actionable knowledge. If you found this article helpful please share it around, thank you! ☺️